History of ForestrySA

 

2012

OneFortyOne Plantations Pty Ltd purchases the Green Triangle plantations and appoints ForestrySA as the provider of management services.

2008

Pioneered use of LiDAR for plantation productivity assessments.

2004

Certification to Australian Forestry Standard (AFS) AS 4708.  

2001

South Australian Forestry Corporation established (trading as ForestrySA).

1993

State owned sawmills sold to Carter Holt Harvey.

1985

Native Vegetation Act stops the clearing of native forest in South Australia.

1983

21,000 hectares of pine plantation destroyed in Ash Wednesday fires. Thousands of tonnes of wood salvaged and stored in Lake Bonney, near Millicent.

1973

ForestrySA stops clearing of native forest for new plantation establishment, ahead of the South Australian Government’s Native Vegetation Act in 1985.

1970

Start of implementation of solutions to reverse second rotation productivity decline.

1958

Wandilo Fire, eight employees deceased in a fire storm event.

1957

Particle board production begins in South Australia.

1941

First annual surplus of income over expenditure payment to South Australia Treasury.

1939

Zinc deficiency in soils identified as cause of extensive dieback and rectified.

1935

South Australian Forestry Royal Commission.
Expansion of plantation area.
Reservation and management of native forest areas.

1931

Government sawmill at Mount Burr commenced operation.

1910

Government land purchases for forestry totals 45,290 hectares.

1907

Planting of large areas of Radiata pine in the Green Triangle.

1902

Milling commences at Wirrabara, in the Mid North.

1899

Planting begins at Kuitpo, in the Mount Lofty Ranges.

1882

South Australian Woods and Forests Department formed.

1876

Planting begins at Bundaleer, Wirrabara and Mount Gambier.

1875

First Forestry Board appointed with G.W. Goyder as Chairman.

1873

Forest Trees Planting Encouragement Bill to encourage tree planting in South Australia.