Welcome to Ponderosa Hut
Ponderosa Hut is located along the Kidman Trail in the Mount Crawford Forest and has been designed for people camping with horses. Set between native and plantation pine forest, the campground is suitable for groups of all sizes.
The forest is closed to the public on declared Total Fire Ban days. To report a fire, call 000.
The Kuitpo and Mount Crawford Forests are located within the Mount Lofty Ranges Fire Ban District. For fire ban information phone 1800 362 361 or visit the CFS website. Being aware of a Total Fire Ban is your responsibility.
Fire is prohibited on ForestrySA land and Forest Reserves between November 1 and April 30 in any year. (These dates may be extended in areas where high fire danger persists).
Facilities and features
- Ponderosa Hut sleeps 20 people. Maximum occupancy in this exclusive-use area is 20 people
- Large campground with small shelter, providing ample room for tent camping
- Picnic tables
- Fire pit
- Rainwater (not suitable for drinking)
- Four individual horse yards suitable for holding horses overnight
- Minimum 2 night stay
- Bookings are available between 1 April and 30 November.
- All organised groups must discuss their activities with the ForestrySA Ranger prior to booking
- From $109 per night
Arrival and departure
- 2pm arrival, 10am departure
- Please contact the Kuitpo Forest Information Centre one day prior to arrival to obtain access, on (08) 8391 8800 (open 10am – 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
How to get there
From the Mount Crawford Information Centre, turn left onto Warren Road and follow for 2.5km. Turn left onto Cricks Mill Road (to Mount Pleasant) and follow for 3.5km. Turn left onto Starkey Road. The campground is located at the end of the road.
GPS: -34˚43΄53˝ 138˚59΄29˝