Welcome to Thomas Hill House
Thomas Hill House is a former farmhouse and forest headquarters, located within the Cudlee Creek Forest adjacent Fox Creek Bike Park, about 40 minutes’ drive from Adelaide.
It rests on top of a hill, providing spectacular views of the surrounding countryside, the northern suburbs of Adelaide, Port Adelaide and views across to the Gulf of St Vincent.
The house is lucky to have survived both the 1983 Ash Wednesday fires and Cudlee Creek fires of 2019. In 2022 many of the large, older trees surrounding the house were removed as part of important fire prevention. When you arrive for your stay, you will notice the surrounding grounds look different to the photos you see below.
The forest is closed to the public on declared Total Fire Ban days. To report a fire, call 000.
The Kuitpo and Mount Crawford Forests are located within the Mount Lofty Ranges Fire Ban District. For fire ban information phone 1800 362 361 or visit the CFS website. Being aware of a Total Fire Ban is your responsibility.
Fire is prohibited on ForestrySA land and Forest Reserves between November 1 and April 30 in any year. (These dates may be extended in areas where high fire danger persists).
Facilities and features
- Thomas Hill House sleeps 17 people. Maximum occupancy in this exclusive-use area is 17 people
- Two bedrooms, accommodating 17 people in bunk beds (linen not supplied)
- Kitchen with fridge, stove, cutlery and crockery
- Two bathrooms
- Bore and rainwater (not suitable for drinking)
- Lounge area with open fireplace
- External fire pit, picnic tables and beautiful views
- Mains power
- Walking and cycling trails (such as the Heysen and Mawson Trails) within close proximity
- Minimum 2 night stay
- Bookings are available between 1 April and 30 November.
- All organised groups must discuss their activities with the ForestrySA Ranger prior to booking
- From $196 per night
Arrival and departure
- 2pm arrival, 10am departure
- Please contact the Kuitpo Forest Information Centre one day prior to arrival to obtain access,
on (08) 8391 8800 (open 10am – 12pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
How to get there
From Adelaide, take the South Eastern Freeway to the Hahndorf exit. Follow the Onkaparinga Valley Road through Verdun to Woodside and turn left onto Tiers Road to Lenswood. Follow the Coldstore Road for about 3km and turn left onto Croft Road. Follow for about 1km and enter the gate on the right.